Sorry it’s taken a few weeks, but I promise, these are worth the wait. These are my Cook-off WINNING Chipotle Cheddar Biscuits. And let me tell you, they are DELICIOUS. I don’t even know what else to say about them, so I’m just going to give you the recipe:
Chipotle Cheddar Biscuits
– makes about 40 small biscuits –
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chipotle powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups grated and tightly packed sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 large egg
Kosher salt and Tabasco for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, pepper, chipotle powder, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and the 1 teaspoon of salt.
3. Add the butter and, using your hands or the back of a wooden spoon, work the butter into the dough. The mixture should look like coarse sand. Add the cheese and stir to thoroughly incorporate it into the dough.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
5. Use a tablespoon-sized scoop to scoop the dough and drop it in mounds onto the prepared baking sheets about an inch apart. Sprinkle with tabasco (one dot per biscuit) and kosher salt and bake in the center of the oven for about 15-20 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baking time, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of a biscuit comes out clean.
6. Transfer the biscuits to a cooling rack. The biscuits can be served slightly warm or at room temperature (I like them slightly warm).
7. Store the biscuits in an airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze for up to a couple of months.